At Deskpro, we make helpdesk software and we have customers of all shapes and sizes from across the globe, including Vodafone, Microsoft, NHS, and Panasonic. Deskpro is a large product with a large variety of features and modules, from email, chat, and voice, to blog posts, knowledgebase, and guides, and everything in between. There's always something new to build.
Deskpro Voice is one of our flagship features, which enables our customers to revolutionise their call centre operations by providing a comprehensive and full-integrated voice calling solution. From setting up intelligent call trees or greeting customers with customised messages, our call centre software makes it possible to manage, route, and handle calls with ease.
We’re looking for a Senior PHP Developer who has experience working with Twilio or other voice calling platforms like Asterisk to join our engineering team and take on the development of new features and fixes in the Deskpro Voice product. You will help build new features and modules, you'll be involved in shaping our underlying product frameworks and our internal processes like code reviews and deployment, and you'll get to participate in feature planning and have real input on the direction we take the product and the company as a whole. You'll be joining a small team where your specific experience will have a great impact.
We have a Wimbledon office but remote opportunities are available for UK-based candidates who can't commute in.
At Deskpro, your contributions will make a direct impact on our products and the way businesses connect with customers. Enjoy autonomy and lead by example as you explore new technologies and deliver cutting-edge solutions.
Technology we use and where we're going
Most of the Deskpro product backend is written in PHP (Symfony, Laravel) with the primary data store being MySQL. The frontend is Typescript/React (with our own component library) and our primary APIs are GraphQL.
Most of our cloud services we run, such as internal services and our telephony product, are written in Typescript/Node and run on AWS either serverless or dockerized. But we use lots of other technologies like Elastic, Redis, and services offered by AWS like DynamoDB . We even have tools and services written in Kotlin and Go. We're big fans of using the right tool for the job!
Why should you be interested?
- You'll get to sit in the driver's seat when it comes to Deskpro Voice, architecting and building out new features that will be used by thousands of people but you’ll also have the opportunity to work on other cutting-edge projects.
- You'll get to work with real customers and get a peek into how other businesses operate.
- You'll get to learn about scaling software as well as scaling the SaaS platform as a whole.
- You'll get to try out new technology. We are constantly updating our stack and are always on the lookout for tools that will help us be more productive.
You are a good fit for the role if...
- You have previously worked with Twilio APIs and/or other real-time audio communication stacks, having gained a deep understanding of the technology involved (essential).
- You have an earnest interest in developing software with a desire to learn more about the craft.
- You have a lot of experience with PHP (with Symfony or Laravel), but you are not married to PHP. You will be expected to pick up new technology and stacks where necessary. The best tool for the job is not always PHP.
- You have an interest in dipping into front-end development from time-to-time as well.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills. We are big believers in "writing stuff up", everything from spec's to dev docs to RFC's. You need to be able to know your audience and communicate clearly.
- You enjoy solving problems yourself and like working in a "get stuff done" environment. We're a small team and we all generally just get on with things in a fairly autonomous manner. You won't be micromanaged.
- Strong PHP development skills with Symfony and/or Laravel.
- Expertise in real-time audio communication, especially with Twilio.
- Knowledge of GraphQL, AWS, and other relevant technologies is a plus.
- Experience with Typescript, React or other front-end technologies is desirable.
- Proactive problem-solver with a passion for innovation.
- You should be a fast learner. We often venture into unknown territory so you should be a Google-fu master and have experience-driven intuition.
- You should be excited to dive deep into new technology and new programming languages. We're always happy to try new things if it'll help us ship better software.
- You should have a strong understanding of software architecture with opinions on "the right way" to do things.
- You should be a "do-er". You will have a lot of autonomy over your own work, and you will be expected to work with the team to make sure your projects get shipped.
- You work well with others and enjoy sharing your knowledge and leading by example.
- You should love the colour green. We're putting a big focus on delivering well-tested and super solid software!
- Competitive Salary (60-80k) + Share Options
- Varied work. Both in terms of what product features you will be working on, but you'll also have the opportunity to immerse yourself in other aspects of the company such as product planning, customer support, etc.
- A mixture of autonomy over your own work and real responsibilities to the team and business.
- Your choice of equipment (most of our devs like Macbook's with two 4k monitors).
- We encourage self-improvement: Company-sponsored server/hosting for your side projects; books; conferences; courses. Just ask!
- A chance to be truly invested in your work and the company with a generous share options scheme.
- 2 minute walk from shops, restaurants, pubs and gyms.
- Lovely new offices, BBQs in the summer, Monday team breakfasts and Friday lunches. Unlimited coffee, tea, soft drinks and snacks with beers for Friday afternoon.
- BUPA Private Healthcare & Cash Scheme, Pension Scheme, Bike Storage, Season ticket loans, Reduced gym membership.
No recruiters or agencies please
View our careers page